Using MindManager to share your best ideas and plans: Part 2
Michael Deutch is a brand ambassador for MindManager software. After 12 years of working on the MindManager portfolio as VP of Product and, previously, Director of Product and Marketing Solutions, Michael’s extensive product experience makes him an ideal ambassador.
Although he will be out chasing adventures in his new life of semi-retirement, Michael will continue to stay engaged and active within the mind mapping community. He will be contributing regularly to the MindManager Blog, and our many other online platforms.
This post is part two in a 3-part monthly series that highlights the many different ways to share MindManager diagrams by exporting and transforming your diagrams into different formats. Last month, we dove into the different exports possible with MindManager for Windows. Today, we’ll cover Sending, Publishing and Printing your diagrams.
- Send – Distribute MindManager files via email
- Publish – Post your diagram online and share access to an interactive viewing experience via the web
- Print – Create hard copies of your MindManager files
Sending Diagrams to Others
There are two types of ‘send’ options within MindManager.
First, it’s possible to ‘send’ one or more topics to other applications (similar to the export function, which exports the whole map). Use the topic’s context menu by right-clicking the topic and navigating the options to ‘Send Topic(s) to’ the target of your choice. The options available will depend on which applications you have installed on your computer.
The second method allows you to easily send the whole diagram to others using the Send option by selecting File in the menu and then choosing Email on the Share tab.
The three options to ‘Send’ diagrams via Outlook include:
- Send as Attachment;
- Send as Attachment for Review; and
- Send as Attachment (HTML5 Interactive Map)
If you select either ‘Send as Attachment’ or ‘Send as Attachment for Review’, you’ll also be given an option to create a zip archive of any linked files. The Send as Attachment (HTML5 Interactive Map) option will export your diagram to HTML5 and attach the result onto an email for you in a single step. These options exist to allow you to quickly distribute content via email for review and feedback.
Publishing your work online
Starting with MindManager 2018, MindManager offers the ability to publish your diagrams online. If you haven’t already set up an account to publish your flies, no worries, MindManager will walk you through the setup before you can complete the publishing process.
I’ll walk you through the current publishing options:
Step 1: Select Publish:
Upon selecting Publish (found on the Home ribbon and under File/Share options), you need to select whether you’d like to publish with or without requiring a password. If you publish without a password, you can always edit your settings and add a password at a later point in time. If you publish with a password required, you’ll need to set your password for the diagram in this step.
Step 2: Share Your Link:
Once your diagram has been published online, you’re basically ready to go. You’ll be provided with the following options:
- View the HTML5 diagram online;
- Undo, which will unpublish the diagram and remove the content from the internet;
- Copy Link, which allows you to send the link to others using whichever method you’d like (e.g. messenger, email, etc.);
- Copy the embed code to allow you to easily embed the published diagram in web pages, blog posts, wikis, intranet sites, etc. ; or
- Post the diagram on popular social platforms like Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn.
The Advanced options in the publish dialog provide the following options:
- Control whether or not a viewer can download a copy of the MindManager file or only view it online via their browser.
- Control the viewer’s initial viewing experience, putting the diagram into Presentation mode or not. For viewers with less experience navigating MindManager diagrams, presentation mode is generally recommended.
- Set or remove passwords to open the published diagram.
- Set the storage location to be North America or Europe (hosted in Germany).
- Set an image to replace the MindManager logo with your own 200 x 200 pixel image.
Step 3: Publish Updates
After your diagram has been published, the original file will have a new overlay presented when the diagram is opened.
Clicking the overlay will present the following options:
- View Share Links – this opens the Publish dialog allowing you to access the links and publish options mentioned in step 2.
- Publish Update – this will republish your updated diagram, leveraging the original link. Anyone with the original link will see the revised content when they access that link. Or, if you’ve embedded your content in another site like an intranet, the next time it is viewed, the new content will be displayed.
- Un-Publish – this will remove your content from the internet. You can always publish the content again.
At times, you may want to print your diagrams to save or distribute hard copies of the content.
There are quite a few options available for printing, which can be found in the File / Print tab.
One useful tip for printing is to select how many pages you’d like to print (see below).
Another option that can control your output is adjusting headers & footers as well as the paper size to suit your needs. This can be found in the Page Setup.
Stay tuned for the last part of the 3-part series, which will discuss different methods to present content within MindManager.
Try MindManager today
Haven’t gotten your hands on MindManager yet? You may be interested in a free, 30-day trial!